Miniature Circuit breakers or MCBs are electromechanical techno devices which help in protecting the electric circuit from an overflow of current that is caused due to short circuit, overload or faulty designs. There are several types of MCBs, but broadly they can be classified into two groups:
- MCBs based on tripping characteristics
- MCBs based on number of poles
Both the types can be further classified into sub types. The MCBs based on tripping characteristic can be sub- divided into-
- Type B MCB- This type of device is mainly used for residential or commercial applications where connected loads are lighting fixtures, domestic appliances, etc.
- Type C MCB- This type of device is used for commercial or industrial purposes where the chances of witnessing short circuits are high. In this, the connected loads are inductive in nature.
- Type D MCB- This type of MCB is also used for industrial or commercial purposes where the current inrush is very high, for instance- X-ray machines, winding motors, etc.
MCBs based on number of poles can be sub- divided into-
- Single pole MCB: This type of MCB provides switching and protection to one single phase of a circuit.
- Double Pole MCB: This type of MCB provides switching and protection to double phase of a circuit.
- Triple Pole MCB: This is a type of MCB which provides switching and protection to three as well as neutral phases of a circuit.
- 3 Pole with Neutral or TPN MCB: TPN MCB is a type of MCB that provides switching and protection to three phases of circuit.
- 4 Pole MCB: A 4 Pole MCB has protective release for the neutral pole and is used where there is a possibility of high neutral current flow through the circuit.
There are a plethora of brands in the market offer various types of techno driven MCBs with a host of different features and durability level. One of them is Techno MCBs by HPL which are made up of high-grade materials, are durable in nature and highly convenient to use and maintain. While selecting a miniature circuit breaker, it’s essential to keep their properties in mind. Choose the best and steer away from electric shocks.